ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rolandl
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Is it just my imagination?
Jul 29, 2009

Hi all,

I'm not trying to start anything controversial here, but I wanted to post my observations and thoughts from looking at many images online and see if everyone in here thinks I'm crazy or not. I've had dp1 envy ever since it came out and have been amazed by the image quality and beautiful photography that is posted here with it day after day. (dp2 as well, but the FL isn't quite as intriguing to me).

I was hopeful that the introduction of micro 4/3 cameras like the ep1 would provide similar beautiful IQ while giving the freedom and flexibility of the DSLR that I love (I use a nikon, sorry!) However, despite that hope and wishing for the m43 to succeed, I have found that the m43 samples and photos that I see do not seem to compare to the quality of the dp1 / 2. I'm not going to go into crazy technical specifics and I don't want to bash image by image or anything like that -- it's more an overall observation. Am I crazy? Is it just that you sigma folks are more likely to hit the photography sweetspot that I appreciate? Sigma photogs -- Please take this compliment from me -- the photography that is posted in this forum has a professional quality that belies the Sigma name. I find myself comparing the images in here from the DP1 / 2 much more evenly with the Leica M8 than with the ep1. Perhaps it's the off-putting nature of the dp's from their reviews that scares amateurs away? I'm a little afraid that I'll eventually drop $400 on a dp1 and find out that the difference I see is all in the eye of the photographer and not the camera... but I'm curious if you think it might be more than that.

I'd appreciate hearing from folks who've used both systems. I know that the dp1 and dp2 are limited and somewhat challenging to use. But are they really that much better IQ-wise? It sure looks like it to me -- so tell me if I'm crazy!

cheers,
roland

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow