Is anyone else left eyed?

Started Jul 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
Artistico
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Re: Is anyone else left eyed?
In reply to the pugelt, Jul 27, 2009

I see many people responding here not really knowing what having a left dominant eye means. It is not necessarily about defects in either eye, or about which eye you prefer using when you take pictures. If you are right eye dominant, your perceived depth vision aligns to the right eye, and vice versa for the left. That means that if you have a gun at your hip on your right side and you're left-eye dominant, you have to adjust your aim for parallax error just like in a rangefinder camera.

You can still be left-eye dominant yet for some reason you have simply always used your right eye on the viewfinder or vice versa, so preferred camera eye doesn't necessarily indicate which eye is dominant, although I would guess in most cases it would be.

It was a bit of a challenge for me when we had submachine gun training in the Navy and had to shoot from the hip with both eyes open. I am very right-handed and feel very uncomfortable shooting leftie, but ever since I was little I have been left-eye dominant.

I also skip on my left foot, and preferred shooting leftie when I played soccer in primary school, but now I would prefer my right.

When using a camera, it never occurred to me that I was using a different eye than most others until about 10 years ago when I suddenly noticed that when shooting in portrait orientation, I had my hand below the camera when someone else held it above.

If 2/3 of everyone was left-eyed, quite a few cameras would have been designed differently, but of course, in a forum thread discussion of left-eyeism, right-eyed people might not feel inclined to throw in a comment. I would guess that the percentage is more the other way around, with right-handed people being left-eyed being an even smaller group.

Artistico's gear list:Artistico's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yup.New
LHRENew
LHLENew
I amNew
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow