ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Shaw
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
Dust on Sensor!
Jul 26, 2009

Oh dear, Oh dear!

I strongly suspect that my beloved D80 has some dust on the sensor. After some research, it appears my options are:

1. Use PS to edit the problem away. Something that I am prepared to do if the other options remain unattractive.

2. Pay Nikon $50 to clean the sensor. While Nikon has a service centre in our metro area, the thought of paying them $50 for what has been shown to me is a 2 minute job is like hearing chalk being scratched across a blackboard.

3. Invest just over $100 CDN for a device called an Artic Butterfly, and clean the sensor myself. There are some risks that I will discuss below.

4. Use PS for now and eventually (i.e. 2 - 3 years) invest in a new camera body that has a self-cleaning sensor. Olympus fans, don't go there. Olympus may have the best (and fully patented) sensor cleaning system, but my camera store pals and I remain devout Nikon fans!

Because the thought of paying Nikon $50 every time I pick up some dust is very irritating, I have been seriously considering option 3.

Alas, opinion is divided, even amongst my camera store pals. There are very experienced photographers who tell me that they simply aren't that brave, noting that if the sensor gets scratched the repair bill starts around $400 CDN. However, one of their colleauges uses the Arctic Butterfly on his professional (p/t wedding photographer) cameras all the time, and swears by it. Same story for one of my sailing buddies who is an architecture photographer.

I'm just wondering if the folks on this forum have any insights or experiences? Many thanks in advance for your help!
--
Mark

Digital means never having to pay for your mistakes!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow