Started Jul 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hodown55
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
False 50D Mirror/Shutter problem
Jul 25, 2009

I was testing my new Sigmonster yesterday, at a friend's home, in Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia, which has a wetland (with Egrets, Herons & Ibis) at the rear of her property. After taking about 100 shots I decided to check the images on her computer, so placed the CF card (Sandisk Extreme 3, 8gb) in her built in usb cardreader. After viewing a few shots which appeared fine I noticed that some of the jpeg thumbnails (I shoot RAW+jpeg, viewed in Windows File & Fax viewer w/o the RAW plug in) were divided, with the top 1/2 to 2/3 of the image correctly exposed & the rest looking washed out (hazy & undersaturated). This was in about 10 images out of the 100. The jpeg images (couldn't see the RAW images as she hadn't installed the plug in) were the same as the thumbnails when viewed at full screen.

I immediately packed up my gear & headed home, suspecting that it was my turn for a shutter/mirror failure, & to send the 50D off for repair. On getting home I put the CF card in my computer to copy the affected images to another CF card to send to Canon as proof of the failure. Low & behold, all of the images on the card were fine! This was using the same viewer (Fax & File viewer in Vista, except that I have the RAW plug in installed) as on my friend's computer. What a relief!

After reading of similar problems here at DPREVIEW, I really thought it was my turn for problems. Has anyone else had this type of problem? If I had only my friend's computer to view the files on, my 50D would be on it's way to Canon, & would be returned, with a no fault found fee!

Just posting this to show how easy it is to assume a camera problem, when there isn't one!

Kev

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow