ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
d5000 recall survey- just talked to Nikon
Jul 23, 2009

If your d5000 is being recalled,

Please respond to this post with the date it was purchased and "local store" or the name of the dealer if they are online.

There is NO info about the extent of the d5000 Sudden Death Syndrome on Nikon's Service (SDS) Advisory page -- just a serial number look up to check if your number is effect:

http://nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page

I want to purchase a d5000 online ASAP.

I just got off the phone wi/Nikon customer service. The representative consulted with his supervisor. Here is what I learned.

1. The issue impacted the d5000 models made in the first months of production.

2. Recently produced models should not be effected by SDS.

3. Dealers learned about the serial numbers effected the same way as customers.

4. Dealers have to look up camera serial numbers starting to July 23rd online to determine if they are selling defective units. So some dealers are probably still selling defective cameras.

5. If you go to a local store to buy a d5000 and they will not let you look up the camera serial number on their internet you can call Nikon customer service and they will look up number for you. 800-645-6678, 8am to 2am (Eastern), 7-days-a-week

5. It is not likely that high volume dealers still have defective d5000's in stock.

If your check on the SDS look-up indicated that your d5000 needs to be serviced help me by answering a simple question about when and where yours was purchased.

I don't know if there is a reason folks would not to put there serial numbers online -- However, I'm not that interested in knowing your serial number.

If your d5000 is being recalled,

Please respond to this post with the date it was purchased and "local store" or the name of the dealer if they are online.

Help us determine if the stores are still selling defective d5000's.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow