ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thomas Niemann
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,996
Like?
EP-1 review: Kit lens vs. Leica/Zeiss/Voigtländer
Jul 23, 2009

Here's a quote from a review at

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/07/olympus-ep1-pen-review.html

But now for the surprise. Using unarguably better lenses with the E-P1 does not always, or even generally, produce proportionately better results than the kit lenses! I expected my Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtländer lenses to paint some remarkable results that put the Oly kit lenses to shame. But that's just not been the reality. While the M lenses have produced very good images, I have to honestly admit that the best average results I’ve had thus far have been from the Oly 14–42mm zoom lens and the 17mm pancake (even though the latter suffers from some nasty chromatic aberrations in the edges at large apertures).

It's one thing own expensive 3rd party lenses and add the EP-1 to your collection. It's quite another to own the EP-1 and then invest big bucks on 3rd party lenses with the expectation that image quality will improve.

What has been your experience? Can you backup statements with images (100% crops preferred) taken of the same subject with both kit and 3rd party lenses?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow