Started Jul 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mark murphy
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
USA - UK Price winners and losers
Jul 23, 2009

I make regular trips to the USA from over here in London. It used to be a slam-dunk that buying gear in the USA was cheaper - then the UK pound hit rock bottom against the Dollar. It's still not as good (for UK people) as a few years ago - but I regularly refresh my gear USA side and sell on UK eBay every two years regardless and trade up or across (worse case it costs me 15% loss per year - cheaper than leasing and I get newest bug free gear).

This year has been interesting I'm looking at upgrading from D300 to D700 - I was surprised to see that the UK sales-tax-free price (airport) of the Nikon D700 is $1200 less than B&H/Adorama for the body in the USA. However, the 10-24mm DX lens is a whopping $499 dollars cheaper in the USA than the UK.

I can't figure this out - it doesn't seem to be anything to do with exchange rates any more - and stock is available for both in ready supply.

I don't mid buying bits in different countries - anyone have any insight into the reason - seems odd to me?

PS. Yes I know the 10-24 won't work on the D700 well - DX

mark murphy's gear list:mark murphy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow