sports photography on a budget - which body + lens? 2nd hand?

Started Jul 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mugget
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
sports photography on a budget - which body + lens? 2nd hand?
Jul 19, 2009

hey all,

I did search here for any topics/info about this, but couldn't quite find anything that was relevant or up to date. apologies if i missed something...

to give you a bit of background - i bought a Canon 450D nearly a year ago with the twin lens kit. i got it mostly because i wanted to take some pics of the MotoGP at Phillip Island. it is my first dSLR & i'm loving it. i think i finished up with some okay shots from the MotoGP: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugget/sets/72157607922370444/

but i also found that 3.5fps was kind of limiting - i had to be careful and choose the shots carefully or else it was very easy to miss some action or specific moments. also the 75-300mm f4-5.6 kit lens showed some fairly noticeable aberration at 300mm.

so now i want to get kitted up for this years MotoGP in October.

i have been toying with the idea of spending about AUD$2,000 on a better (or even half-decent) telephoto lens and maybe tele-converter (extender).

but i have also been wondering about an older 2nd hand pro or semi-pro body and maybe a 2nd hand lens (even 2nd hand 3rd party lens)?

i thought i should ask some people in the know - so what would you recommend?

i'm thinking that even something like the Canon 1D MkII would blow away the 450D. 8fps and shutter speed up to 1/8000 from the 1/4000 on the 450D. and 8MP is still decent, saw a 1D MkII body on eBay currently at AU $830.

the thing that sold me on the 450D originally were the features like sensor cleaning and the large MP rating. but really now i've come to see that i need speed above photo resolution, and i am thinking that buying used will allow me to have the speed while not breaking the budget.

what about lenses? any problems or experiences with 2nd hand bodies or lens?

a big thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow