New D700 Lens question - 24-85 D

Started Jul 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,766Gear list
Like?
All in all, a good lens
In reply to welshwizard, Jul 14, 2009

welshwizard wrote:

I handled the 24-85 D on a shop D700 demo in Delft on Saturday and was quite impressed with it. It focussed quickly (in the shop) and with very little hesitation, a quick eyeball around the viewfinder and the sharpness was uniform over the frame

The 24-85 D is a very good lens with very good end to end sharpness and contrast even on FX. However, reviewing sharpness on the camera LCD will not give you the details you will get on the computer monitor. But regardless, this is a very good lens. One thing to note is that if you are used to AF-S lenses, focusing is annoyingly noisy. If you can deal that, this lens is for you.

just objective remarks from D700/24-85D users.... I am not talking about the AF-S G version

Another thing that I have observed with this lens is that at wider end of the focal length range, the 24-85 D exhibits prominent distortion. So, if you are planning on shooting architecture, you may want to re-evaluate usage of this lens. But if you are going to be shooting general landscape and event type images, you will not be bothered by it much unless you are nitpicking.

-- hide signature --
 Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow