Advice on normal Lense for D90

Started Jul 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
deenok
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Advice on normal Lense for D90
In reply to Andre Ambrosio, Jul 12, 2009

I have the 50mm 1.4D (non-AF-S) lens with D90. It works well for portraits for my needs as a hobbyist. I found 85mm to be too long especially for indoor portraits when space is limited (especially in Hong Kong where I live), though it may be the better choice if space is not an issue.

The difference between the 1.4D and 1.4G (AF-S) is more than just the focusing motor. According to the reviews on dpreview, the optics are updated, and it has 9 rounded blades for the aperture, which gives smoother bokeh. The 7 straight blades in the 1.4D certainly produce bokeh that are not as appealing, particularly when there are bright spots in the background where it sometimes results in 7-sided polygons.

Also, the AFS lens focuses much quieter and the focus ring does not turn when focusing, which may be a plus for some.

Whether these differences justify the price difference is purely personal. Until now, I kept wondering if I should have gone for the 1.4G, but I'm reasonably happy with the 1.4D

Regards,
Clement

Andre Ambrosio wrote:

I'm quite new to DSLRs and I recently bought a Nikon D90. I'd like to do some portraits and I'm considering either a 35mm or a 50mm lense. My questions are:

• since the D90 takes care of the auto focus, why would I chose an AF-S model over a less expensive lense that doesn't auto focus by itself??

• which model would you suggest me, considering I'd like to make the most out of badly lit places but would definitely rather save some money??

Thanks in advance!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow