Should I switch to Mac because of my Photography?

Started Jul 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DrBmosbacker
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Should I switch to Mac because of my Photography?
Jul 7, 2009

I did not see this SPECIFIC question previously posted so I thought I'd ask. Here is the question:

Should this PC user switch to a MacPro? I would normally not consider this option but my recent work in photography has me wondering if a MacPro will be a better option than upgrading to a new PC. Again, the issue here is photography, not other related PC v. Mac issues.

Background:

1. My computer is used 90% of the time for work in a PC networked environment. Dell laptops are used exclusively.
2. Photography is a serious hobby for me but I do not make money at it.

3. Most of my work related computer use involves MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, extensive use of Outlook, MS OneNote, and of course Internet access.

4. My photography involves gigibytes of RAW photo files, many converted to DNG files. At present most post-processing is in Lightroom 2.5 but I plan to add Photoshop in the near future. I plan to print more photobooks and create more slideshows and larger prints in the future.

5. I am the boss so I can have the IT dept. purchase whatever laptop I desire, although they prefer not to support the Mac because they have little exper. and training with Macs.
6. Large internal and external storage capacity is becoming a significant issue.

7. A year ago I switched from a Windows Mobile 6 SmartPhone to the iPhone 3G. I love the iPhone and would never go back to the Smartphone. Would my experience going from a PC to a Mac be similar?

Because the Mac will enable me to run both the Mac and Windows OS, it would seem that this would be the best of both worlds. However, the configuration options on Macs are more limited and you pay more for less.

Any thoughts on this?
--
Thank you.
Dr. Mosbacker

Nikon D90; Nikon 18-200mm VR; Nikon 35mm f/1.8
--
Thank you.
Dr. Mosbacker

Nikon D90; Nikon 18-200mm VR; Nikon 35mm f/1.8

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow