Started Jul 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cvkealey
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
New here and need some lens advice...
Jul 4, 2009

I'm new to the forum here and somewhat new to "real" photography. To put things in perspective, most of my picture-taking has been with a Konica-Minolta Z5 (long zoom point & shoot), though I do have a "vintage" brown leather-clad ME SE that I inherited from a relative and used a bit. Tired of the Z5's inability to focus in poor lighting, I decided to get a DSLR. I ended up getting a K2000/K-m - the dual-lens kit - and am totally in love with it. However, the Z5 had a zoom range from 35-420mm, so I got very used to having that type of versatility. Consequently, I find myself swapping the 18-55 and 50-200 all the time, which I know is just inviting dust and damage into the camera.

So, I'm hoping that some of you who might have made a similar switch (from a long-zoom p & s to SLR or DSLR) could offer some advice. Should I just force myself to stick with one lens or the other? Should I go cold turkey, get a good 50 mm fixed lens and force myself to use that while I learn my way around the camera? Any guidance for a newbie would be appreciated.

-Chad

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow