My attempt at highlight retention (water rapids D90)

Started Jul 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
Re: My attempt at highlight retention (water rapids D90)
In reply to gif, Jul 2, 2009

IMO a +0.0EV would have blown some of the brightest areas in that shot. The histogram was just about touching the right side as it is (at -1). I thought the idea was to retain everything or at least practically everything so you have room to work with all parameters of the shot. Blown areas remain blown no matter the tweak. I feel like exposure was just about perfect, but the third shot does not look very good - it's simply too contrasty to be very appealing. However, my opinion is that the second shot is more interesting to look at than the first. White water is great, and some of it is that way, but the gradient I have extracted is there in the original, just needed to be coaxed out. Not all rushing water is pure white. Even the original shot shows a fair amount of greyish-green water.

So, that being said, it depends on the intended look - simple as that. I personally think the water would look more like the PP'd version if the sky was cloudy - some of the brightness is simply sunlight blasting the water spray into almost complete white. As for the rest of the shot, I tried to leave the rest alone as much as possible, other than a little vibrance added, and feel like it turned out pretty good considering the amount of change to the water.

Everyone has their ideas, and I'm sure my somewhat novice eyes are limiting the results, but, at least to me, the middle one is the keeper (and the camera settings were just about right). Agree or disagree - that's OK (subjectiveness rules!)
--
K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow