My attempt at highlight retention (water rapids D90)

Started Jul 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
My attempt at highlight retention (water rapids D90)
Jul 1, 2009

This was shot at the outlet of American Falls dam in S.E. Idaho. Overflow is running at max. capacity (rare occurrance). Main river channel of Snake River is barely visible on the far left of photo. Anyway, the image (JPEG) was shot at -1 EV, D-lighting auto, SD picture control, 18-105VR at ISO lo-1.

2nd image has been run thru Lightroom with recovery 100% (to bring out even more detail in the bright water, and fill light added to lighten the background without re-lightening the water. Then contrast added to take out the flatness in the image (due to fill light). Any ideas on further refining or other suggestions are welcome. What do you think?
Original JPEG from D90:

PP'd version:

I'm sure other things can be done here, but keep in mind I use Lightroom for editing, so editing suggestions should be mainly kept within the control I have there. Any other comments are welcome, too, though

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow