? Sidecar XMP?

Started Jun 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
chinch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629Gear list
Like?
Re: XMPs for backups
In reply to Ellis Vener, Jun 29, 2009

the XMPs make much more sense for backup since you are transferring much less data and it's much easier/quicker/reliable to backup small text files vs 15+MB binary files.

paranoia is not an issue imho even if DNG file conversion is your thing i'd want XMP sidecarfiles for edits separate, NOT embedded.

Ellis Vener wrote:

"Basically XMPs let you save the work you do to your RAWs in small, compact, easily backed-up sidecar files. "

The only thng that goes into a ,XMP side car file is meta-data , which includes any processing 'recipes' you for a file that yo ucreated in Adobe Camera Raw. Those prpocessign steps and the other meta-data only becomes part for the finishjed file once you choose to process your raw file as a TIFF, PSd or JPEG. Until then it is just a set of suggestions.

I do not like .xmp sidecar files and convert my raw files to the raw .dng format so everything is in a single "envelope" file. Some peopel are frightened by the DNG format and other s are not. I'm in the last camp. if you wantto be really paranoid or wantto be ableto process your DNG raw file in another raw processor like Canon DPP or Nikon Capture NX2 then you can choose to include the original raw format in the DNG envelope.

chinch's gear list:chinch's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow