Birding madness - E-620, 150 f2, EC-20. C&C appreciated.

Started Jun 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Birding madness - E-620, 150 f2, EC-20. C&C appreciated.
Jun 28, 2009

This whole setup is brand new to me (unless you count previous experience with the teleconverter), so I figured I'd make a day of it at the local refuge. I'm still trying to figure out my workflow, so for today I just took JPGs, did some cropping and sharpening.

I love shooting with the 620. It's maybe a tad light for this lens setup, but I think Even with the E-3, I'd be supporting the lens more anyway. All in all, not a bad feel.

I am in love with the 620. At least I was while shooting. I think I've finally found the smaller yet fairly functional, smaller body I'd wanted to have as a second body, traveller, etc.

The images were immediately different to me upon viewing. I hadn't expected such a change from the E-3. I love the extra sharpness, I found it noticeable (hehe, though now that I think about it, most of that is probably because I've never shot SHG before)

I'm still not sure how I feel about the "tone curve shift," or whatever it is. I thought for the most part that my JPG's came out great, and I didn't have any of the usual need for shadow adjustment in PP. But I did notice a few pics that I took in hard light that seemed over processed, if that's the right word. But considering those were pictures shot under conditions that would keep them from being keepers anyway, it probably won't be a big deal

Anyway, I am in love with the 150 f2. I wish I could keep it for good. I will definitely be scrimping for one someday. I did almost all my shooting today with the EC-20, and I thought the IQ was great. I'm sure it would be even better with less magnification, but as someone who uses a 70-300 practically glued to 300, this was a great setup. An absolute dream for birds in flight, I can only imagine how great it is on an E-3 or 30 with a better focusing system.

Here's a few highlights from my day. I know they aren't perfect, and I'd love to hear any suggestions, comments, or anything else. Thank you.

Images in next post

-- hide signature --

I just want a bigger lens to look more important.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JanNew
RyanNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow