ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben_D
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
Quick trip through Blue Ridge Parkway area
Jun 25, 2009

Hi all,

I'm planning a family road trip to Williamsburg VA this October, and am hoping we can return home via the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd like to spend a Friday driving from Williamsburg to western North Carolina, travel parts of the Parkway on Saturday, then drive home to north Alabama on Sunday.

I'd appreciate suggestions for good places to overnight on both that Friday and Saturday. With the family along, sometimes photography can be a challenge, but one thing that has worked well for me in the past is to get up early for sunrise while the family sleeps in. I might be able to get away for sunsets too.

Would Hawksbill Mountain be a good choice for either sunrise or sunset? Is there convenient lodging nearby?

We would all enjoy short hikes along the parkway. My wife and I have done Asheville and the Smokies before, so I'd like to concentrate on other areas (although I never tire of the Smokies).

I know we won't have time to drive the entire BRP. What route(s) would you suggest? I'd like to end up near someplace like Bryson City, Franklin, or Murphy on Saturday evening.

Any suggestions for photo locations, hikes, kids' interests, lodging, etc. are welcome.

(We'll be travelling through Knoxville on our way to Williamsburg, so we'll be going through the BRP area one-way.)

-- hide signature --

Ben

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow