Started Jun 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raindogs
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Question Re Small/Medium Softboxes
Jun 23, 2009

I am looking to buy some studio kit and had settled on a 2 light setup with one 100cm square softbox and an umbrella as a basic starting setup. However I have seen a used setup for sale on eBay (Interfit Stellar 300) which has two 60cm softboxes included.

My concern is that a 60cm softbox will only be useful for head and shoulders portraits and would also need to be positioned fairly closely to the model (84cm ?) to take advantage of the wrap around light from the softbox. Having the softbox positioned so close may also make the subject a bit uncomfortable.

If I wanted to take shots of small groups (up to 4 people) would there be any point in using a softbox this size ?

Why would you use two softboxes in a setup ?

If you were using the second softbox for fill what advantage would it have over an umbrella ? If I wanted to take some full length shots would umbrellas be better ?

The kit will be used in my home only and the bulkyness of a larger softbox is not an issue.

Any advice appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow