Why can't Nikon compete with micro 4/3 with current APC sensors?

Started Jun 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Carrico
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Why can't Nikon compete with micro 4/3 with current APC sensors?
Jun 23, 2009

There has been a lot of discussion about Micro 4/3s such as the Olympus Pen (which does look like a great package). My question is, why would Nikon have to come up with a brand new sensor/lens combo to compete? I do understand that if they take the mirror out, then the lens to sensor distance changes (allowing for more compactness) which would require a new mount, and would require an adaptor for F mount lenses, but why wouldn't Nikon keep their current APC sensor line in the camera? Why create a whole new sensor size and supporting technology?

So, take an FX lens, an APC sensor in a Micro APC body. Does the combo not work due to the image circle that would be thrown on the sensor or for some other reason?

I admit I know nothing about how cameras are built, so there is probably good reason Nikon doesn't come out with this, but from my perspective, it would be a compelling package and I would buy one.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow