Started Jun 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BinhMinh
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Please explain Minimum Aperture Lock for 80-200 F2.8
Jun 20, 2009

I have just bought a new 80-200 AFD 2.8 and stumbled on one unusual feature (at least for me). There is a small lever located very close to the lens collar that can slide back and forth. The manual explains:

"For programmed auto or shutter-priority auto shooting, use the minimum aperture lock lever to lock the lens aperture at f/22.

1. Set the lens to its minimum aperture (f/22)

2. Slide the lock lever in the direction of the aperture ring so that the white dot on the tab aligns with the orange dot.

To release the lock, slide the lever in the reverse direction."

I have owned a few Nikon lenses but never seen this feature before. I need a better expalaination than the above factory statement. My questions are in which condition/purpose this feature becomes useful? why you need to lock at minimum f22? If you use shutter priority and lock the aperture f/22 then this is not shutter priority anymore, it's a manual mode. Am I right here? I simply don't understand. Thanks in advance. Bill

BinhMinh's gear list:BinhMinh's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow