Started Jun 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CMurdock
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
Olympus E-P1
Jun 16, 2009

I'm posting this here on the Sigma forum because I want the opinion of Sigma users. Most of us, I believe, are "pixel peepers" and are concerned with pixel-level clarity, so I value your opinion. I've been planning to buy the DP2, but I like the idea of a camera which has more features and isn't so finicky to use.

The E-P1 photos that DP Review just posted are better, in my opinion, than the photos from the Panasonic G1, which I found to be excessively soft and even muddy. The E-P1 doesn't seem to go below 200 ISO, and perhaps that's the reason that all the images look slightly grainy. However, I prefer that graininess to the blurriness of noise-reduction. I noticed that there is some purple-fringing in the clouds, which looks pretty strange.

Since this camera has 12 MP, it probably captures more detail than the DP1 or DP2, but nothing can compare to the concentrated detail that you get in a Sigma photo. Even so, I'm attracted to the idea of capturing more detail. I opened one of the photos in my editing program and sharpened it, and it sharpened pretty well (G1 images sharpen poorly).

So what do you all think? I'm looking forward to the day when someone posts comparative photos.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow