Is it possible to do tethered shooting with a Canon P&S?

Started Jun 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gheorghe Chistol
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Is it possible to do tethered shooting with a Canon P&S?
Jun 14, 2009

This may not be the right forum for this but ... here it goes

Besides doing photography for fun, I am also a biophysics grad student. Our lab is looking for a way to take images of DNA/protein gels on transillumination tables (think of them as UV/vis light tables). We used to have a very expensive (~$1e5) GE-made scanner but it keeps breaking. Anyways, there are very simple gel-documentation systems out there which basically consist of a black hood, and a camera on top. This setup has some custom software that allows image acquisition from the camera. Now these commercial systems start at ~$2500 and go up to 8000. They have crappy CCD/CMOS cameras (think of them as point and shoot digicams) and small crappy lenses.

I was thinking of buying a canon SLR (Rebel XS) and basically have tethered shooting using EOS Utilities. But trying to go even cheaper, do you know if one can do tethered shooting with a Canon P&S or any other P&S for that matter? I am interested in ways to have a live-view image on the computer screen, just like when using EOS Capture. Any suggestions would be of great help.

George

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow