Started Jun 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kokoro
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Being insulted over MF
Jun 13, 2009

This week someone put down a leica user, saying 'I get the shot while he still fiddles with his lens adjustments.'. Quite the opposite to rangefinders being viewed as excelent street cameras. I found the comment insulting towards not just Leica users, but towards all people use use Mf lenses or even manual focus with af lenses. It really bothered me, it was an uncalled for and ungrounded criticism. Especially when the person making the insult has no images in their pbase gallery that look as if they took a lot of forethought or creativity.

It isn't hard to select an aperture and focus. I have no problems at all. It does help walking into scenes and knowing exactly what picture I want to take and knowing how to take it with my equipment. Which everyone should be doing regardless of lens or camera. I like how doing things manually allows the photographer to be really creative with shots. Something not really possible when just pointing and shooting.

At the same time, if anyone wants to take their time to get a shot then they really need to be allowed the time to take a shot. Whether using AF or MF. After all there is a difference between getting a shot and getting a good shot.

Focusing manually or setting your own apertures and exposure times is nothing to be afraid of, and is definately nothing to criticise.

Thank you for reading, I just felt I had to say something.

-- hide signature --

Kokoro

Kokoro's gear list:Kokoro's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Olympus E-500 +17 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow