Outdoor portraits & Alaska trip

Started Jun 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
masak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Outdoor portraits & Alaska trip
In reply to JoeWB, Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Joe. Hard choices, those are all good lenses on your list. I have the 10-22 and love it. It is the one thing I think I will miss most when I get around to selling my 1.6 crop cams and lenses. I have used a friends 70-200 f/4 IS and it is great too, but too short for wildlife. The 400 f/5.6 is said to be a bit sharper than the 100-400 but the zoom is a big plus to me. The push-pull takes some getting used to, but I have come to like it. In all, I think with the balancing you have to do the 100-400 is a good choice, especially if trying for wildlife. If you do a bear or whale watching excursion, you will glad to have it. Orca numbers seem to be up this year.

You are a bit limited on the wide end, but the 10-22 is not really for portraits and on land at least you can stitch. Could be tough from the ship. But you know, how many times are you going to go to Alaska and you are going to get the 10-22 someday so........?
Man this is a dangerous pursuit !!! (for the wallet)
Have a great trip, Mitch
--
http://mitchseaver.com/

masak's gear list:masak's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow