ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DFoxinator
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Looking for my first DSLR
Jun 10, 2009

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but it seems great, so I wanted to try to get an opinion on a question I have from the users here.

Anyway, over the past year or two I've gotten more and more into photography. Recently, I purchased a Canon PowerShot SX200 which I love as it offers full manual controls and takes great pictures. But just the fact that it's a P & S makes it have flaws that annoy me, such as being very slow, and not have the ability to use a shutter release.

Anyway, I've decided to start looking for a DSLR. I'm a big Canon fan so I'm definitely leaning towards a Canon. But after that, I don't really know much about DSLR's. So, first, I think I should state I'm looking to spend about $1000 or less. I'd like that to also include a pretty good lens. Anyway, here's a few questions I have:

1) Would you recommend a specific Canon model? I'd like something pretty new. I'm also willing to look at Nikon. And is $1000 enough to get a good camera? I really want to be able to use it for many years to come.

2) I was looking at Canon kits on amazon which come with a lens. What should I look for in a kit? Is the lens they come with any good?

3) How many lenses do I realistically need? I'm not looking to do anything crazy, pretty much just take normal pictures, and have some sort of zoom. My current camera has a 12x zoom, so what kind of lens would I need to produce something like that?
4) Any thing else important I should take into consideration?

Thanks for reading, and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow