Started Jun 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeanMichel Gariepy
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
Who actually worries about vignetting?
Jun 10, 2009

On most, if not all lens reviews, there is always a section that deals with vignetting. This is understandable as it's a component of lens design. What I don't understand is when people make their lens purchasing decisions on this characteristic. I've even seen people rate lenses lower because of vignetting.

NEVER in my life have I said to myself, gee if that picture didn't have so much vignetting (I'm talking the natural kind, not the silly masks added as filters in front of the lens or in photoshop) it would be better. In fact, I add minor (virtually unnoticeable) vignetting to all my shots to make the subject pop.

The complaint I understand the least is when I hear landscape photographers worrying about vignetting. Frankly, it helps most landscape pictures I've seen. Not to mention that at the apertures most photographers shoot scenic shots, the lens would have to have a serious flaw to vignette.

Only in controlled shoots like studio work could it be an issue. Even then, smaller apertures are normally used for sharpness anyway.

When I buy lenses, I rarely worry about vignetting. I'm even glad that my fast glass vignettes. What are your opinions?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow