Started Jun 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoeWB
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Outdoor portraits & Alaska trip
Jun 7, 2009

I have a 50D with 28-135 kit lens. I have owned for 6 months and used the kit lens (and I purchased the 50mm 1.8 also which has not been used alot yet) while I am learning photography. I have found the kit lens to be very good, but I'm ready to expand my lens selection. I have taken a wide variety of photos and have enjoyed wildlife, sunsets and sunrises, which I plan to continue. In addition, I take the usual family pictures including pics of our new and first Grandchild. The reach of the 135 end of the kit lens has limitations obviously for wildlife. Also, for portrait type work (mostly outdoors) I would like to increase the bokeh of the shots.

I plan on purchasing some or all of the following canon lens over the next couple years (about one every 6 months):

100-400L
10-22
70-200 F4 IS
400 F4.6

My son asked me to photograph his engagement pictures at the beach in a few weeks (not that I'm good, but I'm free). I also have a cruise trip to Alaska this summer (my first as I have never been). I would assume most of my shots will be from the ship with maybe a few excursions off the ship.

So, my question is for my first lens purchase off the list, which lens would be best for the beach pictures and the cruise. I'm also not opposed to a prime for outdoor portrait work, though it would save me $$$ to use one lens for both outings. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have lurked/read for months on this forum so I have some idea, but would value opinions of those with similar interests.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow