bunk? 55-250mm IS kit lens (NOT a focus issue)

Started Jun 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MmeFoto
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
bunk? 55-250mm IS kit lens (NOT a focus issue)
Jun 4, 2009

I'm new to dSLR, got an awesome deal on the XSi + 18-55mm + 55-250mm IS. The 55-250mm kit lens, I had to wait a week for Best Buy to ship from one store to another before I could pick it up, yesterday. When I received it, my husband inspected it on the way home. There is slight wear-out on the rubber zoom ring (as if it were nicked by something) plus a splotch of bad paint job on the lens speckle design Canon has adapted. No matter about the defects, I thought, and forgot about it.

Then, as I'm testing it out, it makes a clicking sound, almost like bad little gears that hum long after I release the shutter. It seems to take pretty good photos, despite this. Also, some instances when we would try to push the shutter button, nothing would happen. No snappy, no picture. The screen would go black and then resume back to the display after a few seconds. Am I doing something wrong?

I am slightly afraid that I got a floor model from the Best Buy it was "ordered" from. I should take it back for exchange tomorrow, but I have a friend's wedding on Saturday to attend at which time I would enjoy the extra lens. (should the lens be out of stock, I would then be told to hurry up and wait again)

Is the gear noise inside an abnormality compare to other people's experience with the same kit lens? If so, would it be best not to use the bunk lens on a well functioning camera body?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow