Should K20 owners see a firmware upgrade after the K-7 ships?

Started May 31, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BudH
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?
Should K20 owners see a firmware upgrade after the K-7 ships?
May 31, 2009

With all this talk about the K-7 and what great features it has compared to everything released before it, I thought that it was time to look at what you are really getting and whether or not any of the new features could be backported to the K20D.

It has been stated that the K20D is not being immediately discontinued once the K-7 starts shipping. So there is still a lot that can be done with this baby. Here is a very short list of what I believe are firmware only tweaks that could be ported from the K-7 back to the K20D.

1. Remote Control F behavior. Right now bulb exposures tire your finger as you have to hold the button down for the entire bulb length, claimed K-7 behavior is one press it opens the shutter, second press it closes it.

2. Long exposure NR, the black frame exposure used by the K20D on long exposures is annoying and could be eliminated or minimized with a firmware tweak.

3. Compressed DNG. This might be much harder to implement as it requires processing power besides re-writing the algorithm. The K-7 might just have a faster processor but no one has specifically said that, as I recall.

The above three were obvious to me, there are of course other firmware items that could be addressed that would require more programming resources. If you can think of anything that could simply be backported mention it here. Maybe Pentax is listening and maybe, just maybe we will see some continued interest in K20D development. The code is already written, it just needs a port to the K20D code base.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow