ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
the_dgs
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon T1i/500D built-in flash problem and solution
May 29, 2009

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting and I thought this would be useful to share with the rest of you out there.

I was having a problem with my camera thinking that an external flash was still connected to it even when it wasn't, causing the built-in flash to be inoperable. I was able to find a solution to this issue by searching the threads in this forum, so thank you very much for all of your contributions!

Below is the feedback that I provided to Canon regarding their technical support on this issue.

Hope this helps other people resolve this problem too!

"I called technical support with a problem related to the built-in flash not working on my new Canon T1i/500D. The camera thought that an external flash was still connected even when it was not. To my disappointment the technical service rep. was not able to resolve the issue over the phone, and recommended sending the camera in for warranty repair. However, I searched the Canon user group posts on DPReview website http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031 and quickly identified that it was an issue with the small metal metal strip and the micro switch located on the right side of the hot shoe. All I had to do was run my fingernail under the metal strip and the problem was resolved. I am very surprised that the technical rep and the other rep that he consulted were not aware of this. Here is a link to additional information and a photo on this issue for previous Canon Rebel models http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougpardee/133066175/ ."

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow