Started May 25, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
D3x cruise shots
May 25, 2009

My wife and I just returned from our second cruise. I'll ramble a little, and then show 10 photos taken on the cruise with the D3x. Skip the ramble if you like. There are a total of 176 such images from this cruise now on my website, and few of these will make it into my gallery here in Boulder. It was indeed a fruitful adventure.

This cruise really worked for my wife and I. She's not at all into photography. but I found that I could enjoy a romantic time with her and still fully indulge my passion for photography. This was an Oceana cruise of the Mediterranean and Aegean, with about 500 or so passengers. I took just about all my gear, which was a bit of a pain. I used my 200 - 400mm f4 Nikkor only onboard, and could have lived without it. Most of my shots were taken with (in order of use) the: 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 with 1.7 TC-E, and the 14-24 f2.8. I hardly used my Gitzo, and never used my 24mm PC-E. I used a ThinkTank Pro backpack to carry the D3x and 3 most used lenses, which worked out pretty well.

I would have used my MacBookPro a little, but I lost it on the plane while traveling to the cruise. (!!) There's a story there, in which I try to blame my ThinkTank roller, but that's for another time. I did get my laptop back just after returning home, thanks to UAL Lost Articles Dept.

I had the only D3x's onboard. There was a D3 with tons of lenses, a few D90's and an OLY E-30, which the owner kindly let me play with a bit. It's a really nice body, and I lusted after it some, as I am always looking for a better small camera to carry occasionally. Currently I have a Lumix G1 with Oly 12- 60mm and 50 - 200mm lenses (superb glass!). The G1 fares better than any Oly in many reviews. Olympus just doesn't seem to know how to make a decent sensor. But I rarely use the G1, loving the D3x sensor so much. I am thinking about the GH1 with its HD autofocus video....

Anyway, here is a sampling of images from the trip. Location information can be seen on my website. C&C welcome, but I will mention that I am getting a bit weary of the sometimes caustic and envy-oriented replies that this forum is rife with. The Canon and Olympus forums seem much better behaved. Why is that?

A 3 shot pano:

A 2 shot vertical pano at ISO1600 in a very dark church:

A 4 shot pano:

-- hide signature --
 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow