Started May 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
Advice about a trip to NY
May 22, 2009

Calling New Yorkers (or anyone who knows the place)

I am making a trip to New York (my first to the US) sometime in October/November - probably for a couple of weeks. Not the best time to travel there I realise but don't have a choice about that. I'm visiting a friend who will be studying at Columbia for a while and my wife and I will be hoping to stay somewhere in that vicinity. One New Yorker I met here in Singapore where we live said, "Ok at that time of year if all you want to do is visit museums". I hope he's wrong.

I am planning to bring along my Canon 5D2 with the kit lens and a 100-400mm zoom and would hope for some cityscapes, architecture, river views, sunsets assuming there's any clear skies etc and anything else that presents itself.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions to offer about any aspect of this eg

Do's and Don'ts while there
Places to go or to avoid

Recommendations for reasonably cheap accomodation if any (we don't need luxury - just somewhere clean)

Possible places to visit for photo opps bearing in mind the weather and distance (I would love to see Autumn foliage but I think our trip will be too late in the year for this).
Any other comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

sacentre's gear list:sacentre's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow