Started May 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,587
Like?
I nearly jumped but…
May 21, 2009

Please forgive my indulgence I know we have been here before but it doesn’t get any easier.

I’m normally a fairly positive guy with reasonable and logical decision making skills but the should I or shouldn’t I jump question is driving me crazy. I don’t need to jump at the moment I have two working FZ50s which in the main suit my needs better than anything else. I do hammer them a bit and they won’t last forever and without any successor from Panny or anybody else on the horizon I feel that I have to keep reviewing options. So here’s my decision making process as it stands. Help me see the wood for the trees.

The FZ50 is the best camera for my needs. My satisfaction level with the camera is actually very high although….

I do get frustrated with IQ , noise and the difficulty in capturing BIFs which is something I would dearly love to do better.

If there was an FZ60 or alternative I would prefer that route but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in the market sector, it may even have died.

I would prefer a single lens solution but it isn’t going to happen so I’m forced down the DSLR path. I want to be able to meet most of my requirements with a max two lens solution.
I do have a limited budget

I find the Oly 620 attractive but expensive. I had thought wait a year until it drops in price and couple it with an Oly 70-300. I’m not totally convinced by this option but the 2 times crop on Olys is appealing, the 620 does seem to be a step forward. from other Olys.

On the other hand why wait for a lot less money, I could get a Sony A350 which seems a pretty reasonable camera and with the kit 18-70 and the Sony 70-300 for under £600 I could jump now. That at least would get me over the first hurdle.

But… am I going to be immediately frustrated with the reach from the 70-300 and am I going to suffer from the same high level of criticality and dissatisfaction that seems to plague all serious DSLR shooters.

The Sony is a bargain and with new models coming along I could pick up a very good deal. but my gut feel is that the Sony solution will leave me disappointed and immediately craving for better and the budget just isn’t going to stretch that much higher.

Having poured my thoughts out here I think that has helped me see that sitting tight continues to be the best option but that Sony solution still nags as being a very good deal.

One final thought the guys who come out with the same old line about FZ60s not being needed because DSLRs are so cheap clearly don’t understand long reach users. A cheap DSLR camera body doesn’t replace an FZ50 and we are still looking at 3 -4 times the price of an FZ50 to replace it’s functionality.

-- hide signature --

eFZed50, Oly TeeCON17, RaynoxDCR150 DCR250
My Galleries are at
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JudyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow