Started May 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,772Gear list
Like?
Upgrading from an E510. Or not?
May 21, 2009

After agonizing over whether to move up from my E510 to an E30 or a E620, I finally made a decision.

I decided to buy neither one.

The E620 really looked good, but I don't think I could ever get used to the non-grip. The finger grip just didn't feel comfortable after being spoiled by the E510's generous handgrip.

The E30 looked really great too. But even after the price drop, it's still a lot of money. I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist. And one who is retired, trying to live on a pension. And if I am honest with myself.... the E510 is a better camera than I am a photographer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my E510. I don't really need "more camera."

So, I decided to buy neither camera, but to invest in lenses instead.

I just ordered a ZD 70-300mm from Buydig.com for $359. I really wanted one of these before Christmas when they were selling for around $100 less. Fortunately, the current $75 rebate brings the cost down to $285. The lens should be here in two days!

And I am also shopping for a ZD 9-18mm lens. These are currently selling for around $540.

So.... rather than spending $700-$1000 on a new camera body, I will be speding around $800 for two new lenses. And the more I think about it, the more I like my decision.

I end up getting a shooting range from 18mm to 600mm, which is something like owning a 32X superzoom camera! Except it needs four lenses to do it!

I still won't have a tilt and swivel LCD or art filters. But I'll just get those things when I finally do upgrade my camera body to an E4 or E40.

Or maybe.... if the E510 holds up long enough, I might skip that upgrade too, and get a ZD 12-60mm instead...

-- hide signature --
 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow