Started May 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926
Like?
TZ7/ZS3 plus teleconverter
May 19, 2009

I recently bought a TZ7/ZS3 as a travel cam. As I have several TCs, just to see if it works, I thought I'd try the smallest and lightest of them, the Olympus C180 (nominally 1.7x), on the cam. This was a temporary test rig so I just used available adapters/step rings that fitted around the lens housing and extended far enough to clear the cam lens at full zoom.

I took some shots of a wall clock, with and without the TC, at 10MP, full zoom (12x) and a distance of about 8m, using a tripod (no PP, full images just reduced for posting):

Without TC, full image:

Without TC, 100% crop:

With TC, full image:

With TC, 100% crop:

Shot of cam with TC:

The C180 seems to perform well, with just slight vignetting in the corners. I measured the magnification as being about 1.6x at this distance (8m). That brought the effective FL from 300mm up to about 480mm (which is similar to the FZ28's full zoom).

The heaviest part of the rig was the metal adapter setup, as the C180 has a lightweight plastic body and weighs only about 80g. Possibly a suitable plastic tube would serve to mount the TC for actual use.

Cheers,
Ian
--
Ianperegian

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow