Started May 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
imqqmi
imqqmi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,445Gear list
Like?
Thank you all!
In reply to imqqmi, May 16, 2009

@Doctortt

Thanks! I usually set WB to incandescent/tungsten (like Mike said) as the lights are based on that. I then tweak WB in lightroom (I always shoot in raw)

@Yogi

Thanks Yogi, it was indeed, but with my new workflow I can process up to 200 shots per hour using lightroom. I used DPP or zoombrowser RIT last year which took a lot more time and I had fewer tools to edit the image.

@Technofile

Most shots I've selected were in better light. Good exposures at settings like 1/200ss iso 1600 and f/2.8. I'll post a few examples of some extremes where noise is very visible. The trick during post processing is to slightly clip the blacks and use a bit of contrast so that the noise drops below the threshold and it can't be seen.

@Focus101

I can imagine that. Last year I spoke with some advanced amatures who video taped the show using three cameras at different angles. He had a live editing table to roughly edit it on the spot while also having the original video streams available for refining. I was pretty impressed with the results. I got a dvd and the image qaulity was ok. For me I feel more comfortable with a dslr

@Glenn_Sydney

Thank you Sydney, no flash was allowed and I would never use flash in such cases anyway. The lighting team put a lot of time and effort in creating an atmosphere that plays a big part of the experience. A flash would take that away in literally a microsecond. Some argue that it also poses a danger to the dancers falling off the stage because they may be disoriented.

@MikeInCA

Thanks! 1600 iso isn't so bad, especially at these downsized shots. I sometimes don't even use noise reduction or sharpening. Printing such shots at about 20x30cm looks great and little noise can be seen, if it's exposed well.

@Skytamer
Thank you SkyTamer!

@Guiness2

No flash and WB was set to incandescent, but I usually tweak WB because they often use blue and yellow spotlights to create semi white which it isn't. The WB in LR ranged from 2500 to 4000K and green/magenta from -30 to +30 depending how much green or magenta spotlights were used. In one scene there was magenta from one side and green from the other. It's difficult to choose a good WB in such cases. If one color is neutral the other is so dominant that it hurts your eyes.

-- hide signature --

For more tips for those who are interested in shooting on-stage performances/recitals see this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=31791450

This is as low as I go for these kind of shots. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4, 1/100ss iso 1600 3 stops underexposed. I used lightroom noise reduction at 15/15 lum/chroma. Resized and sharpened. I was amazed it focused at all. It looks a bit like 1600 ASA film grain and is kind of pleasing:

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi

imqqmi's gear list:imqqmi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow