ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
imqqmi
imqqmi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,473Gear list
Like?
Ballet shoots of this year
May 15, 2009

Last year I was asked to shoot a ballet recital. I was invited to do it again this year but with a difference. There were two choreography students that are graduating and worked with the ballet school children to make a recital. I've shot both in small theaters as well as a general rehearsal in the dance studio.

Shooting ballet is one of my favorite types of photography. It's very challenging, lighting in this case was especially difficult as it was in small theaters with limited lighting. I need to be on the edge and very alert for about 6 hours straight. It's exhausting but it's very much worth it and always a great experience and happy chaos.

I've had to underexpose 2 sometimes 3 stops at an already low light setting of f/1.8 iso 1600 1/200ss. AF has issues at 2 to 3 stops below that and is a real problem even on a 40D.

Lenses used: sigma 30mm f/1.4 and canon 85mm f/1.8 and for wide angle shots a sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. I use two 40D bodies for quick switching between lenses. I usually shoot about 1700 shots per recital, all in raw. I process about 500 in LR and post them on a webshop.

I've finally found some time to put them up on my gallery, I made a selection of 29 shots of about 1500 processed shots I have. Here are a few and the rest can be

found here:

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi/ballet_2009

CC&C welcome!

Thanks for looking!
--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi

imqqmi's gear list:imqqmi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow