Started May 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Aitkenhead
Contributing MemberPosts: 792
Like?
Canon 5D MKII AF v Nikon D300 AF.....
May 15, 2009

i have only just purchased the 5D mk II and i was intrigued by the AF, bearing in mind all the bad press about the module in the new camera, so i set a up a test (totally non-scientific) at a cocktail party on my ship, it was about 7 oclock in the evening in Singapore, and was VERY low-light, to be honest i was not expecting the mk II to do so well HOWEVER while taking some images with the D300 the camera seemed to struggle to lock focus, it had a 70-300 VR lens fitted while the Mk II had the old 70-200 L fitted, the Canon to my surprise had absolutely no problems at all focusing in what was a very darkening light situation, this was confirmed later when in was so dark that looking through the viewfinder at the Gurkha military band, it was very hard to see them, but the Camera did not struggle at all, while the Nikon was practically useless because i was shooting a minimum iso of 3200 by this point and its AF was severly struggling, in fact i gave up using it and put it away, and continued with the Mk II.

now some of you may find this totally unbelievable but i am very impressed with the supposedly old AF module in the 5D mk II that i am now going to sell my Nikon gear (i had been using 2 systems for personal reasons).

p.s compared it with my original 5D and it was like night and day....

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow