Nikon refused to repair gray market lens. Doh!

Started May 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
walfy
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Nikon refused to repair gray market lens. Doh!
May 13, 2009

I bought the suburb 17-35mm Nikon lens just a few months ago from B&H, saved a few bucks going gray market, dropped it while swapping lenses at a park in Kyoto a few weeks later so now it doesn't zoom beyond 24mm though still works in all other ways. I shipped it to Nikon repair. A week later it's shipped back with a terse "Gray Market, no repair," note and nothing more. Not even a "Thanks for buying Nikon products. We're sorry to inform you that B&H will cover the warranty, not us, and that's why you got it cheaper there, etc." They figured out by the serial number that it was bought in New York, as indicated on the receipt.

They were kind enough to ship it back free of charge.

Since I damaged the lens myself, and did not expect them to fix it for free, why can't they fix it and charge me for the repair? Is this their way of prodding people to buy their products with their own USA warranty? Are they not in the business of repairing their own products, or do they do it only grudgingly when they have to? Obviously, I'm not in the camera business.

That being said, any one have a good word for: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/
I'm considering sending my injured lens there. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow