Started May 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,643Gear list
Like?
Tamron SP 28-105/2.8 (176A)
May 9, 2009

With the help of our forum colleague Frank in Singapore, I was recently able to acquire this lens to (almost) complete my collection of all the Tamron SP Adaptall-2 MF lenses. I'll have more to say on that subject in the future, but I wanted to share my first impressions of this lens and post some images, as it is not very commonly found.

First of all, it's big! It has a filter diameter of 82mm, weighs 880 gm, and is 87mm in diameter x 112mm long at its shortest (170mm extended).

The front element is 70mm in diameter!

Second, it's beautifully built, solid and with a smooth zoom action. One novel feature is a two-step zoom friction setting, rather than a simple zoom lock. It is heavy, but it balances fairly well on my K10D (not so well on my K-m...).

Third, it's a pretty good performer. On my K10D (which is set up for MF with a Katzeye split image screen), I found it very sharp even wide open at 28mm; at 50mm and 105 mm it is somewhat "dreamy" wide open but it sharpens up very nicely when closed down one to two stops. I like the bokeh; while it can be a little bit "nervous" in some situations it is a lot better than I've seen from some other zoom lenses I've used.

These representative images were shot in 4-star JPG quality on my K10D, adjusted for exposure, resized, and slightly sharpened in PP:

I especially like the bokeh in this last image - very smooth and creamy edges on the OOF white flowers in the background:

So that's my most recent lens acquisition. My last SP is on order now; it's the SP 90mm f2.8, which I already have in the Pentax AF mount version. The Adaptall-2 mount version has a different optical layout; it will be interesting to compare them. Stay tuned...
--
Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 45 years.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

• Sir Winston Churchill

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

• Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Pentax K-5 IIs +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow