Started May 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DesignMeister
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Panasonic LX3 or Fuji 200? Read on.
May 7, 2009

I know this issue has been discussed many times before. I am a part time pro photographer and I use compacts for recording interesting images. I have one in my bag at all times. I own both LX3 and now the Fuji 200, so I have no axe to grind.

My view is that the LX3 is clearly in a different and far better league:

• photography is about capturing the moment, regardless of what camera you use. But the captured moment needs to be at the very least a decent photo - sharp in places where it needs to be. Fuji200's lens is nowhere as sharp as the LX3's Leica lens nor is its colour rendition as faithful as the LX3

LX3's low noise capability is easily as good as Fuji200 if not better

• Fuji200's dynamic range is impressive but not really that useful in practice because in most real life scenarios you can get almost the same effect through -1 or -1.5 stops in exposure?

• lack of manual controls in the Fuji200 will drive experienced photographers potty

• flash in LX3 is much better and more powerful

After a day of using the Fuji200, I just missed the sheer quality of the L3. For me, the Fuji200 is not a worthy rival to the LX3 - and by quite a significant margin. It does not make me want to take more photos! That says it all.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LensNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow