ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Menges88
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?
Tamron 200-500mm vs Sigma 150-500mm
May 6, 2009

Hi all,

I own a 50D and most of my photography is of wildlife which I use the 400mm f/5.6L. This is a lovely lens, however as with all wildlife subjects, you can never have enough focal length and I occasionally find I need that little extra reach. The beauty of the 50D with the 15MP is that I can crop quite considerably to make up for any required focal length.

If I could afford the 500mm f/4 IS, it would be in my kit, but at nearly $10,000AU and only being an amateur photographer (when I have the time), I simply cannot justify paying that much money. I would intend to keep the 400mm regardless; it is the best super telephoto lens out there in that price range (in my opinion), so will always be a valuable part of my kit. So I have some options (bearing in mind I will always keep the 400mm, especially for BIF and when light is not 100% favourable).

Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD
Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Put a 1.4x extender on the 400mm

The last option is probably not the most desirable for me as I would lose AF (I know you can get around it, but I am not an expert on pins or the process involved in tricking the AF system). Basically, what will give me the better IQ out of the above? Or am I just better off cropping the 400mm images to inexcess of 500mm equivalent?

I realise the above will not be good for BIFs (for that I would use the 400mm with no extender), but will mainly use it for general perched birds, etc.

Many thanks.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Dale

'I stand to be, and usually am, corrected'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29394895@N06/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow