Started May 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oscarito
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Nikon D5000 my first impressions
May 5, 2009

I got my D5000 today from Fnac (known reseller in France, I'm french, so sorry for bad english!). I also have a D90, wich is now for sale, so I can compare both cameras. These are really first impressions, and not scientific test whatsoever.

1- The camera really IS actually much smaller than D90, so don't trust the specs that shows almost similar dimensions. The overall feeling is much like a D40 : my last finger is out of camera when I grab it, which is not the case with D90. It also weights significantly less.

2- The build quality is the same, BUT some buttons feels cheaper : for instance they are all hard plastic while "foamy" on D90. The erase button feels especially cheap.

3- The screen is cleary a step backward from D900, it's much like D40. It doesn't fit all the place it coulld have, there is room for a bigger screen. It's contrasty and crisp though.

4- The swivel screen is a real plus, though live view is not faster than on D90. What you can do though is compose the picture trough live view, then switch it off to focus and shoot.

5- The image quality is exactly the same. I maybe notice a slight tendency to underexpose, but that is an impression I got thourgh first shots, maybe I have to tweek the settings a little more.

6- The cable to pc is sub-mini usb, that surprised me at first. D90 mini usb cable won't fit.

7- The viewfinder is much smaller, but I knew that. I wear glasses and I think I can see all of the image more easily : I had to "stick" my eye to viewfinder and take the glasses off with the D90.

Overall, a very nice camera that makes you want take photo with it : it's my definition of a good camera !

Hope this helps
Antoine

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow