Started May 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,344Gear list
Like?
Nikonians Web Site?
May 4, 2009

What's the deal? It seems they've switched to a paid membership scheme. You get a 25 day trial period and after that you can't even access the forums if you don't pay up. Sure, they have the right to charge for access to the site, but seriously...I think they've got a business problem if they can't support themselves the way most other forums do - advertising on the site. Dpreview seems to be doing well with ads. I think many of Nikonians' members (the ones that didn't pay) will defect and never go back if it remains a subscription based site. It was nice to be able to post there now and then and look up info but there are way too many free sites out there to compete and I'm not inclined to pay just to look at the forums and so on. Sort of curious why they've done this. Seems like it would drive away many of their members.

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow