Why you should hold tightly onto your F30/F31d ...

Started May 4, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anastasios Papatsoris
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Why you should hold tightly onto your F30/F31d ...
May 4, 2009

Since the launch of F200 as well as some other classy compacts like the Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3 many faithful F30/F31d users are lseriously considering upgrading to one of them.

Having examined numerous images taken by Fuji's F200, Panasonic's LX3 and Canon's G10, I can only see the obvious resolution advantage when compared to the F30/F31d at low ISOs, albeit at the expense of intruding noise even at their base ISOs. Do, I personally need 10-12 noisy Mpixels for family shots, social events and spontaneous everyday (and everynight!) photography? No, I dont. I will keep my precious F30 in my jacket's pocket for as long as I see a seriously better compact camera emerge. And by the time I need high resolution (> 10Mp) and noise-free pixels, I am using my D-SLR.

Furthermore, for all us Fuji users it comes at no surprise that the F30/F31d performs better than F200 at high ISOs. With a pixel density of 14Mp/cm2 -the highest ever measured in a point-and-shoot compact camera- coupled to its razor sharp lens the F30/F31d remains the reigning low-light champion. Moreover, correcting the tendency of the F30/F31d to clip highlights at sunny bright conditions with proper software, one can have admirable daylight results. I have personally made A3 enlargements from well exposed and processed pictures taken by the F30 and the results are of professional standard.

Why am I posting this? I think the community of serious and informed amateur -perhaps professionals too- photographers should send a clear message to the companies: "We need a serious advancement in the compact camera sector and will not buy products dictated purely by marketing strategies supressing available technology".

What would I like to see? A compact camera with a 4/3 sensor, full manual control via a classic and tried layout (very similar to Nikon's FM3A marvel), a viewfinder (like the wonderful one of Canon's G10), a 3inch 1Mpixel screen (like Nikon's D90), a fast lens (like Panasonic's LX3), a decent zoom range, i.e., 28mm - 112mm, a histogram, RAW, a maximum resolution of 12Mpixels and all that in a compact body no bigger than my beloved F30, selling at a price ranging between $500-$600. Is that too much to ask before I really upgrade?

Cheers,
Anastasios

Anastasios Papatsoris's gear list:Anastasios Papatsoris's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D90 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow