Started May 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mmditter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,983
Like?
Tried E-620 in store today- big mistake
May 1, 2009

Okay, so I had almost decided to buy a new Nikon D40 to replace the one I sold a few months ago (I like having dslr's from both Olympus and Nikon- their strengths and weaknesses compliment each other well). Problem is, the store I went to today had both the new Nikon D5000 and the Olympus E-620 in stock. Both were almost the same price.

Just out of curiosity I tried out the D5000 and found that I did not really like it nearly as much as the D40. It seemed a bit bloated and the lcd screen wit the hinge on the bottom just seemed really awkward and not very useful at all. Even though I've had pretty much experience using the D40 I found myself struggling to figure out how to change simple settings such as ISO.

I then asked to see the E-620, and -- huge mistake! I instantly fell in love with it. First off, I was astounded at how much better the viewfinder seems than the ones I am used to (E-300, E-500, E-510...). I can actually see the display across the bottom.

The camera felt really nice in my hands and, as is usual for Olympus cameras, seemed very well made and looked expensive. I tried a few low-ish light shots in the store and the IS seems to work well.

Now what? My biggest reason for liking the D40 was the viewfinder. But the E-620 VF seems just as nice, possibly better. I also liked the D40 because its high ISO performance just blew away my Oly dslr's. I wonder how the E-620 does at 800 and 1600?

Now, if only the price would come down a bit. Seems like a really nice camera, though.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow