Started Apr 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Finch
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
Why are humming birds so small...
Apr 27, 2009

...that I can't get close enough to them with my 400 5.6 because of its minimum focusing distance.

I was just shooting in the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum (If your close enough to go there, I highly recommend it) this weekend and the place is swarming with humming birds this time of year, mostly Allens, Rufus and Anna's. They are pretty tame there and getting close to them is no problem at all. The problem is that the 3.8 meters minimum focusing distance of the 400 5.6 is still too far away to really fill the frame with one.

Just wondering what other 400 owners do to get really good shots of hummers. I have a tamron 1.4x on the way that I've been wanting anyways so im going to give that a go when it gets here. Does anyone use extension tubes on the 400 to get a bit closer?

Additionally, with enough extension tubage to get good humming bird shots, how much distance focusing do you lose? I rarely use my 400 on anything that far away from me. Will I be limited to extremely close subjects of will normal sized birds at a decent distance still be within the adjusted focusing range?

-- hide signature --

-Finch

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow