Started Apr 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
Two things I do to help keep the sensor clean
Apr 27, 2009

The 5DII is a quantum leap ahead of the 5D in many ways, but it might just be the sensor clean function that clinched it for me. An occasionally dirty sensor on the 5D was irritating and I nearly always made matters worse when I tried to clean it.

Someone asked me on a recent trip why I give the back of the camera a few good sharp taps each time I switch it off. I do it for the few seconds that the sensor clean is happening, as I figure that the mild jolts in combination with the ultra-sonic vibration would have the best chance of removing any dust. I make a point of doing this while the camera is pointing down slightly below horizontal.

Secondly, whenever I store the camera I do it with the lens pointing down. We all know dust always accumulates on top of surfaces, not on the undersides.

Please comment as to whether you think these are useful tips, or whether I'm just stating the obvious and should try to get out more ...

Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow