Best P&S with HD video (that doesn't break the bank)?

Started Apr 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
venkitac
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Best P&S with HD video (that doesn't break the bank)?
Apr 26, 2009

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent P&S with image stabilization, atleast 10X zoom, HD video, and the ability to operate the zoom when recording video (and image stabilization should work in video mode too). Stereo sound would be a plus, some manual controls (exposure/aperture/shutter) would be a definitely plus. (My plan is to carry this around when I want to travel light and use a EOS450D/1000D when I want to do what I consider fancier shooting). I would like to keep the cost of the P&S to less than $400 if possible. The quality of the HD video is quite important to me given that that (and lower weight) are almost the reasons why I'm buying a P&S.

I've narrowed down the list of P&S to Lumix-FZ28, Lumix DMC ZS3/TZ7, Canon SX200IS, Sony DSC-HX1, Canon SX1 IS. The Canons and the Sony is on the expensive side, plus the Lumix seems to beat the Canon in image quality to my beginner eyes.

Am I missing a good camera which fits my needs? If not, which one of the Panasonic's should I pick?

Thanks much for the help and advice.

-- hide signature --

Venkitac

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow