ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Orbis
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
New Canon EF 100-400 f4.0?
Apr 24, 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to purchase the Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM. However, all the webshops here (The Netherlands) mark this lens as not in stock, and that it is unknown when they will get any. So I went to a local store, and they were in the same situation. So the store made a call to Canon The Netherlands to ask when they would be able to ship this lens.

Canon then told the retailer that the EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM has been discontinued, to be replaced with a EF 100-400 f4.0. This lens was also already in the computer system of the retailer. On the computer, it was not marked with L, IS, or USM (though I assume this is just because it is a new product).

The estimated time until availability was said to be 6 weeks, with an estimated price of just over €2000.

I haven't heard any rumours about this lens, so I was slightly skeptical, but the fact that the lens was already in the computer system of the retailer, combined with the fact that all the webshops can no longer get the 4.5-5.6, it makes it seem quite plausible.

So, if this does turn out to be true, what are your opinions?

Personally, I would be slightly disappointed that Canon would discontinue the 100-400 f4.5-5.6. However, if the new lens is L/IS/USM (probably) and they can keep the weight about the same (unlikely), it could be a very interesting replacement..

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow